Glen Balzer is a management and forensic consultant in marketing and sales. In Asia, he creates networks of manufacturers’ representatives and industrial distributors for American suppliers. In North America, he develops networks of representatives and distributors for Asian and American suppliers. He promotes conflict resolution between parties involved in representative, distribution, and purchase agreements. For 30 years, he has been involved with creating, upgrading, and managing marketing and sales organizations throughout America, Europe and Asia.
New Era Consulting, Los Altos, CA
President 1999 to present
Forensic and management consultant specializing in international and domestic marketing and sales.
- Create and upgrade distribution and representative agreements tailored to meet specific needs of suppliers, distributors, and manufacturers’ representatives.
- Testify at trial, arbitration and deposition as an expert witness in cases between global suppliers, manufacturers’ representatives and industrial distributors, on behalf of attorneys both plaintiff and defense.
- Introduce American suppliers to manufacturers’ representatives and industrial distributors in Asia. Recruit American manufacturers' representatives and industrial distributors for Asian and American suppliers.
- Provide support to suppliers during mergers and acquisitions.
- Develop sales incentive programs for suppliers and distributors.
- Prepare and file trademarks with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
Sand Hill Angels, LLC, Menlo Park, CA
Cofounder, Board Director, CFO, Secretary and Treasurer 2000 to 2008
Co-founded a group of seed-capital investors with a focus on information technology and life sciences.
- Screened hundreds of start-up business plans.
- Registered several LLCs with all federal, state and local government agencies.
- Managed relationships between investors and entrepreneurs during fund-raising.
Be Here Corporation, Cupertino, CA
President, CEO and Director 1998
Directed start-up company in development of imaging products for 360º photography used in remote viewing and teleconferencing, transmittable via the Internet.
- Maximized resources and brought new technology into production stage by creating and implementing new strategic plan and system of fiscal discipline.
- Recruited and hired key managers, and built an effective team among engineering, sales, marketing, and manufacturing units.
- Designed innovative marketing plan for quickly introducing targeted industries to dramatic utilization of products.
- Conducted all board meetings and developed solid working relationships with investors.
Philips Semiconductors, Sunnyvale, CA
Vice President, North American Sales and Marketing 1994-1998
Assumed full P&L responsibility for sales and marketing throughout North America, including logistics, finance, physical distribution, public relations, and quality assurance.
- Restructured and led team of over 400 in improving service to strategic customers (IBM, Lucent, Compaq, Hewlett-Packard, Ford, Qualcomm, Sony, and Motorola) while lowering operating costs from 12 to eight percent of sales.
- Drove public relations campaign that established brand-name awareness of Philips among end-users and significantly enhanced employee pride.
- Grew revenues from $590 million to $870 million annually with no increase in headcount, and turned around a five-year decline in market share.
- Integrated entire Western Digital division into Philips upon acquisition and merger.
- Negotiated contracts with strategic customers, industrial distributors, manufacturers’ representatives, and contract equipment manufacturers, CEMs.
- Led the North American sales and marketing team to become ISO-9001 certified.
Western Micro Technology, Inc., Saratoga, CA
President, Components Division 1994
Senior Vice President, Sales and Marketing 1993
Responsible for P&L and revenue growth of a $100 million industrial electronics distributor.
- Returned organization to profitability after four consecutive years of losses. Grew revenue 34 percent during first full year.
- Upgraded several management positions and instilled a “can-do” attitude nationwide.
- Shifted focus from commodity to higher profit, value-added products.
- Converted from a revenue-driven to a profit-driven incentive program, resulting in a seven-fold increase in corporate profits.
- Negotiated distribution agreements with and added complementary suppliers to the line card.
Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
President and Representative Director, AMD Japan, Tokyo, Japan 1988-1992
Vice President, Sales and Marketing, Asia Pacific Operations 1986-1991
Japan – Developed 140-person sales, marketing, design, programming, quality and test organization.
- Grew revenues from ¥12 billion in 1987 to ¥26 billion in 1992.
- Integrated MMI and AMD operations into a single entity throughout Japan upon merger.
- Regularly participated in U.S.–Japan semiconductor trade negotiations.
Asia – Developed staff from 6 to 32 in four key Asian markets: Korea, Taiwan, Singapore, and Hong Kong, and achieved a 61% compound annual growth in sales from 1986 through 1991.
- Improved market share from less than one percent to more than five percent by customizing sales channel strategies to meet each country’s requirements.
- Grew revenues from $10 million to $175 million in five years.
- Consolidated MMI and AMD operations into single entity throughout Asia Pacific after merger.
Vice President, Strategic Sales 1985-1988
Created strategies, business plans, and tactics to increase market share with the world’s largest users of semiconductors.
- Focused sales resources on six North America-based strategic customers and managed Digital Equipment Corp., Hewlett-Packard, IBM and ITT account development in Europe.
- Developed and strengthened strategic alliances through semi-custom product offerings.
- Improved AMD’s service perception for delivery, electronic data interchange, returns policies, change notification procedures, and guaranteed lead times, during a time of rapidly rising customer expectations.
- Rationalized MMI and AMD strategic sales organizations into single entity after acquisition.
- Negotiated all product and several technology contracts with strategic customers.
Vice President, North American Sales 1984-1985
Responsible for all OEM and distributor sales throughout 35 eastern states and Canada.
- Developed a team of 60 professionals in 18 locations that generated $250 million in consumption and grew sector sales by more than 65% in 1984.
- Led contract negotiation with AMD’s largest North American customers.
- Refined AMD’s distribution strategy while managing distributor relationships.
- Managed a network of manufacturers’ representatives throughout 35 eastern states & Canada.
Director, Strategic Sales 1982-1984
- Achieved dramatic increase in annual sales from $40 million to $260 million.
- Negotiated contracts with all North American strategic customers.
- Developed and implemented a rigorous On-Time Delivery program worldwide.
Northwest Area Sales Manager 1977-1982
- Managed direct & distribution sales throughout northwestern 10 states and western Canada.
- Grew sales from $12 million in 1977 to $101 million in 1982.
- Managed seven manufacturers’ representatives organizations.
Regional and District Sales Manager, Beverly Hills 1974-1977
- Managed half of Southern California sales through a network of four industrial distributors.
- Coordinated OEM sales to AMD’s largest military customer, Hughes Aircraft, at all locations.
- Managed the Los Angeles manufacturers’ representative throughout Southern California.
- M.B.A., California State University, Sacramento, 1973.
- B.S.E.E., California Polytechnic State University, 1971.
MEMBERSHIPS, AWARDS and APPOINTMENTS:
- Veteran Service Medal and National Defense Service Medal, 1965.
- Institute of Electrical and Electronic Engineers, Member, 1971-2002.
- United States Navy Reserve, Lieutenant (junior grade), 1975.
- American Management Association, Member since 1978.
- Semiconductor Industry Association, Japan, Director, 1988-1992; Chairman, 1990; Vice Chairman, 1991.
- SIA Telecom Committee, Founding Chairman, 1990-1992.
- International Semiconductor Cooperation Center, Tokyo, Director, 1988-1992.
- American Electronics Association, Tokyo, Executive Committee Director, 1988-1992.
- American Marketing Association, Member since 1991.
- San Antonio Hills, Inc., Board Director since 2002. Treasurer since 2014.
- Professional and Technical Consultants Association, Professional Member since 2003.
- Silicon Valley RoundTable Chapter, National Association for Business Economics since 2003.
- Forensic Expert Witness Association, Member since 2003; Secretary and Treasurer, Northern California Chapter, 2004; Vice President, San Francisco Chapter, 2005; National Board President, 2005; National Board Director 2008-2012. Secretary and Executive Committee Member, 2010-2011; National Vice President, 2011. Advisor to the San Francisco Board since 2013.
- Institute of Management Consultants USA, Professional Member since 2004.
- EverFile Systems, Inc., Member of the Advisory Board since 2006.
- Business Marketing Association, Member since 2006.
- American Bar Association, Associate Member since 2007.
- HT MicroAnalytical., Inc., Member of the Advisory Board, 2007-2009. Board Director 2009-2012. Compensation Committee 2010-2012.
- IEEE Consultants' Network of Silicon Valley, Member since 2009.
- Kiara Technologies, Inc., Director since 2011.
- Union Semiconductor, Inc., Member of the Advisory Board since 2013.
- Best Practices for Handling Sales Reps' Split Commissions, Agency Sales magazine, Vol. 45, No. 3, March 2015.
- Achieving Better Results from Your Manufacturer-Represntative Relationships, Agency Sales magazine, Vol. 44, No. 11, November 2014.
- Building Supplier Relationships, Industrial Supply, July/August 2014.
- Creating a Sales Presence in the Global Marketplace, Experts.com, September 2013.
- A Good Agreement Helps Build Distribution Relationships, Industrial Distribution magazine. Vol. 102, No. 5, September/October 2013.
- Balance or Bias: Seeking Equilibrium in Representative Agreements, Experts.com, August 2013.
- Direct v. Manufacturers’ Representative: How Best to Organize a Sales Team, Experts.com, August 2013.
- Five Rules for Negotiating Representative Agreements that Last, EzineArticles.com, August 2013.
- Problem-free Distribution Agreements, Experts.com, July 2013.
- Tips for Improving Supplier Relationships, Experts.com, June 2013.
- Balance is Beautiful: A Balanced Distribution Agreement Pays Dividends, Experts.com, May 2013.
- Proven Techniques Improve Supplier Relationships, Experts.com. April 2013.
- Getting the Most out of Your Distribution Relationship, RechargeAsia magazine, Issue 107, March 2013.
- Distributors Must Manage Supplier Relationships, Experts.com, March 2013.
- How to Manage Sales Reps' Split Commissions, EzineArticles.com, March 2013.
- Managing Supplier Relationships: The Difference between Strategic and Tactical Relationships, Industrial Supply Magazine, January/February 2013.
- Six Rules for Negotiating a Better Distribution Agreement, Experts.com, January 2013.
- Cross-Territory Sales Bring Split Commissions: Splitting commissions across Multiple Territories, Experts.com, November 2012.
- Avoiding the Top 10 Mistakes with Distributor Agreements, RechargeAsia magazine, Issue 101, September 2012.
- Building Value into Representative Agreements, LegalNetWorker.com, September 2012.
- Constructing a Balanced Distributor Agreement, LegalNetWorker.com, September 2012.
- Launching a Sales Presence in a Foreign Market, Experts.com, August 2012.
- Traits of Successful Representative Agreements, Experts.com, July 2012.
- Launching a Sales Presence in a Global Distribution Channel, Experts.com, March 2012.
- Rep v. Direct: How to Best Organize a Sales Team, EzineArticles.com, March 2012.
- Avoiding the Top 10 Mistakes with Distributor Agreements, Experts.com, January 2012.
- Why Renew Representative Agreements Every Year?, EzineArticles.com, February 2011.
- 10 Mistakes to Avoid with Distributor Agreements, Witness.net, June 2010.
- Sales Expert Witness on Representative Agreement: Traits of Successful Representative Agreements. Expert Witness Blog. June 2010.
- Houston: Birth of a Chapter, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Spring 2010.
- Preventing Mistakes with Representative Agreements, AllBusiness, May 2010.
- Problem Free Distribution Agreements: How to Avoid the Pain and Expense of a Broken Business Relationship, Industrial Supply magazine, March/April 2010.
- Avoiding the Top 10 Mistakes with Distributor Agreements, DistributorSalesManagement.com. February 2010.
- Don’t Ignore that Distribution Agreement, Sales and Marketing Management Magazine, January 2010.
- Six Rules for Negotiating a Better Distribution Agreement, Industrial Distribution magazine. Vol. 98, No. 11, November 2009.
- Integrating Convenience into Representative Agreements, AllBusiness, July 2009.
- Value-Added Reseller Agreements: Improving Results, ExpertPages.com, April 2009.
- Traits of Successful Representative Agreements, Expert Witness Blog, April 2009.
- How to Negotiate a Better Representative Agreement, Articler.com, February 2009.
- Launching a Sales Presence in the Global Distribution Channel, EzineArticles.com, February 2009.
- How to Negotiate a Better Distribution Agreement, ArticlePros.com, February 2009.
- Hiring the Start-Up Team in Asia, The Chip Hatchery, February 2009.
- Representative Agreements Must Be Rewritten Annually, AllBusiness, November 2008.
- Midwest and Arizona Mark Latest Expansion, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Fall 2008.
- Creating a Sales Presence in the Global Marketplace, Agency Sales magazine. Vol. 38, No. 8, August 2008.
- Building Value into Representative Agreements, Lawyer’s Forum, July 2008.
- Expansion Notes: Chapter Growth Continues, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Summer 2008.
- Constructing a Balanced Distributor Agreement, Lawyer’s Forum, July 2008.
- Resources Helpful When Entering Asian Markets, The Chip Hatchery, May 2008.
- Balance Is Beautiful, MROwired.com. May 11, 2008.
- Preventing the Top 10 Mistakes with Distribution Agreements, ExpertPages.com, April 2008.
- Networking Helps Create a Sales Presence in Asia, The Chip Hatchery, April 2008.
- Distribution & Dealers Expert Witness Shares Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid with Distributor Agreements – Part 6: Termination by One Party Only, Expert Witness Blog, March 3, 2008.
- Distribution & Dealers Expert Witness Shares Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid with Distributor Agreements – Part 5: Frequency of Price Changes, Expert Witness Blog, March 1, 2008.
- Selecting and Entering the First Asian Market, The Chip Hatchery, February 2008.
- FEWA Expands into the Lone Star State, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Winter 2008.
- Distribution & Dealers Expert Witness Shares Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid with Distributor Agreements – Part 4: Exclusive or Nonexclusive, Expert Witness Blog, February 28, 2008.
- Balance Is Beautiful: A Balanced Distribution Agreement Pays Dividends, Progressive Distributor. Vol. 13, No. 1, January/February 2008.
- Distribution & Dealers Expert Witness Shares Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid with Distributor Agreements – Part 3: Annual Termination and Semiautomatic Renewal, Expert Witness Blog, February 26, 2008.
- Balance is Beautiful, MROtoday.com, February 23, 2008.
- The Life and Death of a Distributor Agreement, AllBusiness, February 2008.
- Distribution & Dealers Expert Witness Shares Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid with Distributor Agreements – Part 2: Termination for Cause Only, Expert Witness Blog, February 2, 2008.
- Equal Partners, Balanced Terms, AllBusiness, January 2008.
- Distribution & Dealers Expert Witness Shares Top Ten Mistakes to Avoid with Distributor Agreements – Part 1: Too Much – Too Fast, Expert Witness Blog, January 31, 2008.
- Launching a Sales Presence in a Foreign Market, MWorld: The Journal of the American Management Association. Vol. 6, No. 2, Summer 2007.
- Avoiding the Top 10 Mistakes with Distributor Agreements, National Expert Witness Network, June 2007.
- Seeking Balance in Distribution Agreements, The ExpertPages Newsletter, May 2007.
- Eight Steps to Building a Sales Presence in a Foreign Market, InsideChips, March 2007.
- Seeking Balance in Distribution Agreements, ExpertPages.com, March 2007.
- Preventing Mistakes in Distributor Agreements, MROtoday.com, February 12, 2007.
- Creating a Sales Presence in a Foreign Market, Consultants United, December 2006.
- Representative Agreements Must Be Rewritten Annually, Agency Sales Magazine. Vol. 36, No. 11, November 2006.
- Avoiding the Top 10 Mistakes in Representative Contracts, ExpertPages.com, August 2006.
- Managing the Distributor Relationship, Spotlight, Power Transmission Distributors Association, August 2006.
- Preventing Mistakes in Distributor Agreements, Progressive Distributor. Vol. 11, No. 4, July/August 2006.
- The Art of the Win-Win Distribution Agreement, Asosiasi Logistik Indonesia, May 2006.
- Removing Fear from Representative Agreements, Consultants United. May 2006.
- Cross-Territory Sales Bring Split Commissions, Agency Sales magazine. Vol. 36, No. 3, March 2006.
- Proven Ideas Make Better Representative Agreements, Calif-Legal.com, March 2006.
- Ending the Relationship, Industrial Distribution, Online February 1, 2006.
- Get It Right, in Writing, The Electrical Distributor. Vol. 43, No. 2, February 2006.
- Equal Partners, Balanced Terms, Ferret.com.au, January 17, 2006.
- We Are a Stronger Association than Ever, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Winter 2006.
- Building Value into Representative Agreements, Canadian Professional Sales Association, November 2005.
- Building Protection into Representative Agreements, LawyerIntl.com, October 2005.
- Our Association Has Been Active, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Fall 2005.
- Constructing a Balanced Distributor Agreement, Spotlight, Power Transmission Distributors Association, September 2005.
- Ending the Relationship, Industrial Distribution, Online September 7, 2005.
- Tips for Improving Supplier Relationships, Agency Sales magazine. Vol. 35, No. 8, August 2005.
- Equal Partners, Balanced Terms: The Art of the Win-Win Distribution Agreement, Industrial Distribution magazine. Vol. 94, No. 7, July 2005.
- Mid-Year Report, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Summer 2005.
- Building Value into Representative Agreements, ExpertLaw.com, April 2005.
- Can We Grow by 33% This Year?, Forensic Expert Witness Association Newsletter, Spring 2005.
- Improving Your Strategic Value, Industrial Distribution magazine. Vol. 94. No. 3, March 2005.
- Renewing Representative Agreements Annually, ExpertPages.com, March 2005.
- Getting the Most from Your Distribution Relationship. Asia Imaging Fair Los Angeles. Pasadena, California, November 2012.
- Ecosystem Environment for Starting a Semiconductor Company, with Steve Bengston, Dave Guzeman, Lucio Lanza, James Prenton, and Steve Szirom. DesignCon 2008. Santa Clara, California, February 2008.
- Angel Investing in Today’s Economy. Silicon Valley RoundTable / National Association for Business Economics. Menlo Park, California, June 2007.
- Ecosystem Environment for Starting a Multicore Processor Venture, with Steve Bengston, Chet Brown, Gordon Campbell, James Prenton, and Steve Szirom. Multicore Expo 2007. Santa Clara, California, March 2007.
- Creating Better Sales Channel Contracts. San Francisco Paralegal Association: California Paralegal Day. San Francisco, June 2006.
- Exploring Foreign Markets Seminar: Creating a Sales Presence in a Foreign Market. Inland Empire International Business Association. Ontario, California, December 2005.